I Wish I Were Pure

 I Wish I Were Pure

 

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

 

1 Corinthians 6:9-11

 

Water is an interesting substance. By its very nature, water absorbs matter around it so that it takes on the properties of the container it’s in. Thus, there is no such thing as absolutely pure water. Sure, we can remove most impurities, but the outer water gets, the more likely it is to absorb and cling to what’s around it.

 

I wish so very much that I were pure. Sin, even in its simplest form, clings to me in life. I cannot, regardless of my efforts, purge evil thoughts from my life. I look into my soul and see an evading darkness swirling at my consciousness, threatening to dilute my heart and soul.

 

I wish I were pure, but I am sinful. I am weak and listless, and cannot of myself ever find purity of heart. It is beyond my ability, beyond my reach no matter how hard I try.

 

Thank God, then, that Jesus died for my sin. That I am pure, not because of my own righteousness, but because of His. It is His mercy that washes me, cleanses me, and makes me clean. It isn’t a freedom from effort, of course. I have so far to reach to stay pure in His sight. I must throw all of my effort towards that call, or all His great love for me is wasted.

 

Thank God I’m pure in Jesus Christ. I hope and pray that I might live up to His righteousness, His love, His grace towards me.

 

Water can never be pure, but I, through grace, can be. Lord, keep me pure in Your sight.

 

Have a Great Week,

Michael


Comments

Popular Posts